The all time favorite appetizer can also be made in an air fryer. Get the best flavor versus their frozen counterparts with this recipe. The secret is all in the preparation.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8 minutes
Freeze time: 1 to 2 hours
Yield: 8 mozzarella sticks
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 8 whole milk (or low-fat) mozzarella sticks
- Air Fryer
- Wax paper
- Do the prep work: Line a rimmed baking sheet with wax paper. Lightly beat the egg in a wide, shallow bowl.
- Combine the Italian seasoning, salt, and breadcrumbs in a second wide, shallow bowl.
- Coat the mozzarella sticks and freeze them: Dip a mozzarella stick into the beaten egg and coat it completely. Dip the stick into the bowl with the breadcrumbs and coat completely. This will be messy. It’s okay.
Transfer to a wax paper-lined rimmed baking sheet and line them up so they are not touching. Freeze for 1/2 hour minimum, 1 hour maximum.
Coat the mozzarella sticks again, and freeze them, again. Pull the mozzarella sticks out of the freezer, dip them into the egg and then the breadcrumb mix, and then freeze them for another 1/2 hour minimum, 1 hour maximum.
- Air fry the mozzarella sticks: Set your air fryer to 390°F. Spray the air fryer basket and the mozzarella sticks with a nonstick cooking spray. Air fry the mozzarella sticks (in batches if desired or necessary, as space permits) for 6 to 8 minutes until the exterior is golden and crispy.
- Serve! Remove from the fryer, cool just long enough to avoid burning your tongue, and eat immediately!
Source: Simply Recipes