Jackfruit is a great substitute for meat and an obvious choice for tacos, sandwiches, salads and wraps. Jackfruit is a large fruit that can be purchased in its young green, unripe form which has the texture of a stringy, pulled meat. Much like tofu, jackfruit takes on the flavor of whatever sauce, marinade or spaces you’re cooking it with. If you have any leftovers, it’s great in a breakfast burrito! Here’s how to prepare these delicious tacos.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 2 (14-ounce) cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce, store-bought or homemade
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 10 to 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 cup corn kernels, canned or fresh from the cob
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Shred the jackfruit: Using your fingers or forks, break apart the chunks of jackfruit into shredded pieces.
- Cook the onions: In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook for an additional 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Cook the jackfruit: Add the shredded jackfruit to the pan with the onions and stir well. Add the barbecue sauce, cumin, oregano, coriander, smoked paprika and salt to the pan.
Stir to evenly distribute the spices and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the jackfruit is browned and slightly crisped around the edges. Fold in the orange zest.
- Assemble the tacos: Warm the tortillas and add a large spoonful of cooked jackfruit to the center of each. Top with avocado, radishes, cilantro, cabbage, corn, sour cream and a squeeze of lime.
Source: Simply Recipes