These delightful bars showcase the state’s cherry heritage, combining tart cherries with a buttery crust and a crumbly streusel topping. Bursting with fruity goodness and a delightful texture, these bars are a true Michigan delight. Join us as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions for this mouthwatering recipe that will transport you to the cherry orchards of Michigan!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1 cup fresh or frozen tart cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and granulated sugar. Add the cold cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cherry preserves, tart cherries, brown sugar, rolled oats, chopped almonds or walnuts (if using), and vanilla extract. Mix well to combine.
- Spread the cherry filling over the crust, ensuring an even layer.
- In another bowl, prepare the streusel topping by combining the remaining flour, granulated sugar, and cubed butter. Use your fingers to mix until crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the cherry filling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust and streusel topping turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the bars cool completely in the baking dish before cutting into squares.
- Serve these delectable Cherry Streusel Bars and savor the taste of Michigan’s famous cherries in every luscious bite.