A chocolate lover’s delight. This cheesecake recipe has a c chocolate cookie crust, creamy chocolate cheesecake filling with a layer of chocolate ganache on top. You’ll want to use Oreos for the crust or any other cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies.
Yield: Serves 12 to 15
Prep time: 40 minutes to 45 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes
For the cheesecake:
- 1 1/2 pounds full-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter; plus more for coating the pan
- 30 Oreos or cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (about 16 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
For the ganache:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Make the cheesecake:
- Place 1 1/2 pounds full-fat cream cheese and 1/4 cup sour cream in the bowl of a stand mixer (or large bowl if using an electric hand mixer). Let sit at room temperature to soften while you prepare the crust, at least 30 minutes.
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 325°F. Generously coat a 9-inch springform pan with unsalted butter.
- Melt 5 tablespoons unsalted butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Place 30 Oreos in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment (or in a ziptop plastic bag using a rolling pin) and process into fine crumbs Add the butter and pulse until combined. (Alternatively, crush the cookies in a ziptop bag with a rolling pin, transfer to a medium bowl, and stir in the melted butter with a spatula.)
- Transfer the crumbs into the pan. Use the bottom of a measuring cup to press it evenly into the bottom and about halfway up the sides. Bake until the crust is fragrant and no longer wet to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place 2 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted, about 2 minutes total.
- Add 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the cream cheese and sour cream. Beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until mostly smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. With the mixer on medium-low speed, beat in 4 large eggs one at a time, waiting for each egg to be incorporated before adding the next. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and beat until combined. Stop and scrape down the bowl again. With the mixer on low speed, add the melted chocolate and beat until combined. Pour the batter onto the crust and spread it into an even layer.
Place the pan on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheesecake is fully set around the edges with just a slight jiggle in the center, 65 to 70 minutes. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate the cheesecake for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
Make the ganache:
- Place 1/2 cup heavy cream in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave until it begins to bubble, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips and whisk until the chocolate is melted completely. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and whisk to combine. Pour the ganache over the chilled cheesecake and refrigerate until the ganache is set, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan. Serve right from the bottom of the pan, or slide a large off-set spatula under the crust and and transfer the cheesecake to a serving platter before slicing.
Source: Simply Recipes