This ice cream lets the essence of the coffee shine through. Patience is the key to making homemade ice cream. Making the ice cream base without eggs lets you churn the ingredients together right away. You’ll want to set the ice cream in a freezer for a few hours for the perfect dessert.
Yield: Serves 8, Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup instant espresso powder
- 3 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make sure the base of your ice cream maker is frozen if needed. Place 1 1/2 cups whole milk, 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, and 1/4 cup instant espresso powder in a large bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add 3 cups cold heavy cream and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions, usually about 20 to 25 minutes. At this point the ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. Transfer the ice cream to an airtight, freezer-safe container that just fits the ice cream. Place in the coldest part of the freezer and let freeze for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight. For best results, press a sheet of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream for longer-term storage to prevent freezer burn.
Source: the Kitchn