These enchiladas are easy to make in just 30 minutes and all you need is a pan. You can swap out the cheese for one you enjoy and have available. This recipe calls for cotija cheese which is a dry, crumbly and salty cheese with more moisture in it. Serve these enchiladas with a classic margarita, refried black beans and spicy citrus beans for a weeknight meal with Friday night appeal.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 ounces cooked chicken (about 2 cups shredded)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 4-ounce can mild green diced chilis
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 taco-sized flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cotija cheese
- Radishes, thinly sliced
- Sour cream
- Shred chicken: Shred the leftover chicken so it’s ready when you need it. You should have about 2 cups.
- Make the sauce: In a large, high-sided skillet set over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil shimmers, add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute, just until softened.Add tomato sauce, water, diced green chilis, chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Stir together, then let the sauce simmer on medium to medium-low while you assemble the enchiladas.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Put about 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken down the center of each tortilla. (You don’t really have to measure the meat. Just divide it evenly among the tortillas!) Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon cotija cheese (just eyeball it) across the chicken, and spoon 1-2 teaspoons sauce over the cheese.
Fold in the sides of the tortilla, roll it up, and put it seam side down in the sauce. Nestle them in the pan. Repeat this until the pan is full. Spoon sauce over the top of the enchiladas.
- Top with cheese and cover: Sprinkle additional cotija cheese over the top of the enchiladas. Cover with a lid and let them simmer until the cheese is melted and the tortillas look puffy, like they soaked up some sauce. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve: Lift the lid and sprinkle cilantro and thinly sliced radishes over the top. Serve alongside sliced avocado, jalapeño, and sour cream.
Source: Simply Recipes