Maintaining a healthy lifestyle includes a variety of commitments, from exercising to eating right. However, serving up healthy meals doesn’t have to be boring.
Taco-Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 2 spaghetti squash (2 pounds each)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste, divided
- pepper, to taste
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup diced red onion, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can Black Ripe Sliced Olives
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 cup Lindsay Black Ripe Medium Olives
- 1 lime, wedged
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- In microwave, cook one whole squash 3 minutes. Repeat with second squash. Cut each in half and scrape out seeds. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil over each half and rub around until insides are coated. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper, to taste; place on parchment-lined baking sheet center down to lay flat. Bake 50 minutes.
- Heat large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Put 2 teaspoons oil in pan then chicken, 3/4 cup onion and garlic. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, chili powder and remaining salt; stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes to reduce liquid, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sliced olives and lime juice.
- When squash is cooked, scrape insides with fork to release from edge then create nest. Put 1/4 of chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheese in each squash half.
- Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Top with avocado, diced tomatoes, remaining onions, jalapeno, whole olives and lime wedges.
Mediterranean Chicken and Grain Bowl
- 8 ounces farro or brown rice
- 6 cups spinach, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups diced seedless cucumbers
- 1 1/2 diced tomatoes
- 6 thin slices red onion
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 3 cups cooked skinless chicken breast
- 6 tablespoons fat-free or low-fat crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives
- Cook farro according to package instructions.
- On serving plate, place 1/2 cup farro. Around farro, arrange 1 cup spinach; 1/4 cup cucumber; 1/4 cup tomatoes; 1 slice red onion, separated into rings; and 1/2 cup cauliflower.
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette over salad. Top with 1/2 cup chicken and garnish with 1 tablespoon feta cheese and 1 1/2 teaspoons olives. Repeat with additional servings.
Curry-Spiced Tofu with Asian Vegetables
- 12 ounces light, extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry, cut into four slices
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons, curry powder, divided
- 12 ounces packaged fresh stir-fry vegetables
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Put tofu on large plate. Sprinkle tofu on both sides with 1 tablespoon curry powder.
- In large microwaveable bowl, microwave vegetables and water on high 2-3 minutes, or until vegetables are almost tender-crisp. Pour off remaining water.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat bottom. Cook tofu in single layer 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Transfer to separate large plate. Cover loosely to keep warm.
- In same skillet, heat sesame oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat bottom. Cook onion 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Stir in vegetables and garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes, or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring constantly.
- Stir in coconut milk, chili garlic sauce and remaining curry powder. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Spoon vegetable mixture over tofu.