With temperatures continuing to drop, it’s the perfect opportunity to warm up with a spicy mulled cider. Spiced with orange, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon, it’s a great holiday drink. This recipe is nonalcoholic but if you’d like to add it, try a dark rum, spiced rum, Brandy or Bourbon.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 8 cups
- 1/2 gallon fresh, unfiltered apple cider (non-alcoholic)
- 1 orange
- 12 whole cloves
- 4 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 15 allspice berries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 whole cardamom pods
- 2 tablespoons unpacked brown sugar
- Simmer the apple cider with orange and spices: Pour the apple cider into a 3-quart saucepan, cover, turn the heat on medium-high.
While the cider is heating up, take a vegetable peeler and peel away a couple thick strips of peel from the orange. Press about half of the cloves into the peeled part of the orange. (You can also just quarter the orange and add the slices and cloves separately)
Place orange, orange peel strips, the remaining cloves, and the rest of the ingredients into the sauce pan with the cider. Keep covered and heat the mulled cider mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Strain out the orange and spices: Use a fine mesh sieve to strain the hot mulled cider away from the orange, cloves, and other spices.
If you want, you can add a touch of bourbon, brandy, or rum to spike it up a bit.
Serve hot. Add a cinnamon stick to each cup if desired.
Source: Simply Recipes