A classic old-fashioned treat. This creamy, dense lemon filling on top of a graham cracker crust brings back the nostalgia. It takes about 25 minutes to put together this quintessential traditional pie. Baking and chilling take longer so you’ll want to prepare this pie a day early you anticipate serving it.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Chill: 6 hrs 45 mins
Total time: 7 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 6 to 8 servings
Yield: 1 pie
For the pie
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 prepared graham cracker crust, store-bought or homemade (cooled for at least 10 minutes if homemade)
For the topping
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF: Set a rack in the middle position.
- Make the filling: In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and whole egg until thoroughly combined. Stir in the sweetened condensed milk until blended. Add the lemon juice and stir to blend. Pour into the baked pie shell.
- Bake the pie: Set the pie in the middle of the oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until the outside edges look set and the center still jiggles slightly. Set the pie on a rack to cool to room temperature, then chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or overnight.
- Make the topping: In a bowl, stir together the sour cream, sugar and vanilla until blended.
- Bake the pie with the topping: One to two hours before serving, preheat the oven to 350oF. Set a rack in the middle position.
Spread the topping over the pie and bake the pie for 10 minutes to set the sour cream.
Remove the pie from the oven, cool briefly, and return to the refrigerator to chill until cold, at least 45 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy: This pie will keep for up to 24 hours before serving.
Source: Simply Recipes