Wood utensils have been used for centuries and are still one of the most common tools found in kitchens today. Wood is great to prevent scratching pots or pans, and won’t react chemically with hot food. Here are the few do’s and don’ts when it comes to handling your wood utensils.
- DON’T put the wood utensils in a dishwasher. The intense heat and steam will make the wood crack.
- DON’T let utensils sit in water for prolonged periods of time.
- DO wash the utensils in hot soapy water fairly quickly after use.
- DO pat the utensils dry with a cloth and let them air dry.
- DO rub with a slice of lemon and let air dry for any strong flavors that have seeped into the wood.
- DO apply a mineral oil every once in a while to the wood to prevent it from drying out and cracking.
Source: Apartment Therapy