The refreshing Mint Julep cocktail is a pairing of sweet mint, simple syrup or sugar and bourbon. It’s perfect for the warmest summer nights thanks to the fresh ingredients. This recipe requires a traditional method to mint the julep, which combines 6 to 7 mint leaves with either sugar and a splash of water, or a tablespoon of simple syrup. Crushing the mint into the syrup will add to the spirit, resulting in a mint julep.
Prep time: 5 mins
Serving: 1 cocktail
- 2 1/2 ounces Bourbon
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup or 1 to 2 sugar cubes
- 8 mint leaves (plus 2 sprigs for garnish)
- Crushed ice
- Combine the mint, simple syrup, and bourbon: Combine the mint, simple syrup or sugar cubes, and bourbon in your glass or cup. Using a spoon, macerate the mint by crushing it into the sugar and liquid, releasing its essence.
- Fill glass with crushed ice and pour cocktail: Fill your glass or cup with crushed ice, and gently press a spoon into the ice, moving it around a bit to incorporate the ingredients.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish with 1-2 mint sprigs, and very much enjoy.
Source: Simply Recipes