Peach cobbler is a summer favorite. It’s super easy to make with just fresh peaches and a simple cobbler topping. Use ripe, sweet and flavorful yellow peaches. The peach cobbler will only be as good as the peaches you use. You’ll want to serve this with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the final touch.
Prep time: 40 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 90 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 4 pounds ripe yellow peaches (about 12 medium-sized peaches), peeled, pitted, and sliced into 1/2 inch thick wedges
- 1 cup sugar, divided 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup instant tapioca (grind in a food processor for better texture)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (6-ounces) butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Make the filling: Place the peaches, 2/3 cup of the sugar, instant tapioca, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a large bowl and stir to evenly coat the peach slice with everything.
Let sit for 30 minutes for the peaches to macerate and the tapioca to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Make cobbler topping: In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg.
Cut the butter into the flour with your fingers or a fork until the mixture has the texture of a coarse meal. Add the cream and stir with a fork until the dough mixture just comes together.
- Assemble the cobbler: Butter a 2 1/2 to 3 quart casserole baking dish. Spread the sliced peaches out in an even layer. Crumble the dough mixture over the peaches.
- Bake: Bake at 350°F until the peaches are bubbly and the topping is well browned, about 50-60 minutes.
- Cool and serve: Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Source: Simply Recipes