For those who are always on the go, it can be difficult to find time to whip up meals and snacks that are both nutritious and tasty. However, with some simple changes – and time-saving recipes – you can create delicious dishes and meals that will keep you feeling energized to fuel your busy lifestyle.
This Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is an easy dish featuring egg roll flavors and it’s ready in only 15 minutes!
Egg Roll Bowl with Shrimp
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 5 cups frozen cauliflower rice
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 teaspoons minced or pressed garlic
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 6 cups pre-cut coleslaw (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions, root and tips trimmed
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice blend
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin rice cooking wine
- 1 pound cooked and peeled shrimp, thawed
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In microwave, steam cauliflower according to package instructions.
- While cauliflower is cooking, warm large, nonstick skillet with lid over medium heat. Add oils, swirl to coat pan and, when shimmering, add garlic and ginger. Sauté until sizzling and fragrant, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds.
- Add coleslaw, bell pepper and scallions; continue sautéing, stirring frequently, until cabbage just begins to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle on five-spice blend and stir to incorporate. Add soy sauce and mirin rice cooking wine to pan and stir to evenly coat cabbage. Add shrimp to skillet; toss to evenly distribute. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow shrimp to warm, about 3 minutes.
- Measure about 1 cup cooked cauliflower rice into bottom of four bowls. Top evenly with shrimp and cabbage mixture, about 1 cup vegetables and 9-11 large shrimp per serving, drizzling with pan sauce evenly. Sprinkle each bowl with 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and serve while hot.
Notes: To help meal come together quickly, use frozen cauliflower rice, pre-grated ginger paste, pre-minced jarred garlic and bagged coleslaw mix. Green onions and bell pepper can also be pre-sliced.