Perfect for a weeknight meal ahead! Cabbage steak is an easy vegetarian dish with plenty of flavor and crisped to a golden brown. It has a lightly sweet, mellow flavor from the olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, smoked paprika and honey. Make sure to add the garlic breadcrumbs over top to give it a satisfying crunch.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 (2- to 3-pound) green cabbage
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Prepare the oven and baking sheet: Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare the cabbage: Peel off and discard any dried and browned outer leaves of the cabbage. Place it on a cutting board on its side, with the stem end facing your left or right.
Use a sharp chef’s knife to slice it into 1-inch cabbage steaks. Handle them gently so that they don’t fall apart. You should get 4 to 6 slices, depending on the size of your cabbage. Discard the end with the tough stem.
Place the cabbage steaks in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Their sides can be touching. If there isn’t enough space, you can use two baking sheets.
- Make the sauce: In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, paprika, and honey. Use a fork to whisk until the honey is fully dissolved.
Brush the sauce over the slices of cabbage, using half of the sauce. Gently flip the cabbage steaks and brush the other side, using the remaining sauce. Sprinkle the cabbage steaks with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper. It’s okay to season only one side.
- Roast the cabbage steaks: Place the cabbage steaks in the oven and turn the temperature down to 400°F. Bake until the edges are browned, the center is crisp-tender, and it can be easily pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping: In a small skillet over medium heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once the oil shimmers when you tilt the pan, add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. It should sizzle and be fragrant but not brown.
Add the panko breadcrumbs, red pepper flakes (if using), and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss to coat the panko well in the garlic oil. Toast the panko, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Plate and serve: Use a large spatula to transfer the roasted cabbage steaks onto a serving platter or plates and top each with the garlic breadcrumbs just before serving.
Source: Simply Recipes