Whether you’re seeking a treat for yourself or a dessert to impress guests, this Shoofly Pie will transport you to the charming bakeries of Pennsylvania. Join us as we guide you through the step-by-step instructions for this irresistible recipe that captures the essence of Pennsylvania’s sweet indulgence!
- 1 9-inch pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and place the pie crust in a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and brown sugar. Add the chilled cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the boiling water, molasses, and baking soda. Stir until the baking soda dissolves.
- Pour the molasses mixture into the pie crust, filling it about three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle the reserved crumb mixture evenly over the molasses filling.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any potential spills, and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely before serving.
- Slice and serve this delectable Shoofly Pie as is or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.