The newest contender to french fries. Smashed potatoes are as easy as it gets. Simply boil small potatoes, flatten them, douse in olive oil and bake. Serve along with a side dish or for breakfast with some eggs.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 pounds small red or yellow ‘creamer’ or baby potatoes, rinsed or scrubbed if dirty
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Flaky sea salt or table salt, for sprinkling
- Pre-cook the potatoes: In a large saucepan, place the potatoes and cover them with cold water by 1 inch.
Bring the water to a boil over high and add the salt. Adjust the heat to a steady simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife. (The exact time depends on the size of your potatoes, so start checking at the 15 minute mark.)
- Preheat the oven: Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425ºF. Place 2 rimmed baking sheets in the oven.
- Drain and cool the potatoes briefly: Drain the potatoes in a colander. Line a baking sheet with a dish towel and spread the potatoes over it for 5 to 10 minutes to dry and cool.
- Press the potatoes: When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, set each potato on a cutting board or plate and press them with the heel of your hand to flatten them (or use the bottom of a dry 1-cup measuring cup.) You want to flatten them to about 1/4-inch thick without breaking them into too many pieces.
- Bake the potatoes: Remove the hot baking sheets from the oven and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon oil. Wearing oven mitts, tilt the pans so the oil spreads over the baking sheets.
Arrange the potatoes over the two baking sheets, spreading them so they are not touching each other. Brush with as much of the remaining oil as you like using a basting brush and sprinkle with flaky salt.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they are golden and crispy. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste and serve hot.
Source: Simply Recipes