Bake a delicious strawberry tart with a sweetened mascarpone base. The combination of balsamic vinegar and sweetened strawberries is a perfect match for those who haven’t tried it. Learn how below.
Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: serves 6 to 8
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg whisked
Filling and Glaze
- 2 lbs strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp orange zest, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese (can also use 8 ounces mascarpone mixed in with 4 ounces of ricotta or 4 ounces of whipped cream)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (substitute a teaspoon of lemon juice if you don’t have balsamic)
- Roll out puff pastry sheet to 15×5 inches or 12×12 inches. Place on a baking sheet. Fold the edges over to form a border. Prick bottom of pasty with tines of a fork. Chill for 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Use a pastry brush to brush on egg wash over exposed surfaces. Place in hot oven and cook until nicely browned all over, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven to a rack, let cool completely.
- Macerate strawberries in sugar: Gently combine strawberries, half of the orange zest, and the granulated sugar in large bowl so that the strawberries are coated with sugar. Let sit to macerate for 30 minutes.
- Make mascarpone base: Mix together the mascarpone cheese, confectioner’s sugar, the remaining orange zest, lemon juice and the vanilla in a medium bowl until well combined. Refrigerate until needed.
- Make strawberry balsamic glaze: After the strawberries have macerated for 30 minutes, place a sieve over a bowl and drain the liquid out of the strawberry mixture into the bowl.
Take that strawberry liquid and put it in a small saucepan. Add a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the saucepan, and bring to a boil on medium high heat.
Boil until the liquid has reduced to the consistency of syrup, remove from heat and let cool.
- Assemble the tart: Spread the mascarpone mixture over the bottom of the tart shell.
Arrange the strawberries on top of the mascarpone mixture. Use a pastry brush to brush on the balsamic glaze.
Sources: Simply Recipes