Sugar cookie icing doesn’t need to be intimidating. It can be prepared in less than five minutes and is super easy to work with. You’ll just need to whisk together powdered sugar, whole milk and corn syrup. This egg white-free option is perfect for decorating with kids or just to keep things simple. Add food coloring to get the right tint you need for your cookie recipe.
Yield: Makes about 3/4 cup frosting
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Food coloring (optional)
- Place 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons whole milk, and 1 tablespoon light corn syrup in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle a bit of the icing off of the whisk or a spoon over the bowl of icing; if the icing holds its shape for a few seconds before melting back into the icing, it’s ready to use. If it is too thick, whisk in 1/2 teaspoon milk, checking consistency before adding more until the icing is the right texture.
- Divide the icing into bowls and use food coloring to dye icing as desired. Let the icing dry overnight on decorated cookies.
- Use the icing immediately or cover the surface with plastic wrap until ready to use.
Source: the Kitchn