Looking for a unique and tasty bread recipe that’s easy to make? Look no further than this Authentic Australian Damper Recipe! This traditional recipe dates back to the early days of Australian settlement, and has been a favorite of Aussies ever since. With its crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior, damper is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Plus, it’s a fun and easy recipe to make with the whole family!
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the milk and water.
- Use a knife or fork to mix the ingredients together until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Shape the dough into a round, flat disc and place it onto a greased baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to score a cross into the top of the dough.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the damper is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Allow the damper to cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving with butter, jam, or your favorite spread.