The blooming onion is all about presentation and of course flavor. The way the onion is prepared gives it a blooming effect and allows for all the mixes and seasonings to evenly coat it. You can easily prepare this recipe in an air fryer with the help of some foil. Serve this as an appetizer along with your favorite dip.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp. garlic salt
- 2 tbsps. garlic
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsps. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Put the onion face down and cut into 1/4ths. Leave the root intact. Cut two to three cuts in between each 1/4 cut.
- Mix the eggs and heavy cream in a bowl. In another bowl mix the flour, garlic salt, garlic, Italian seasoning, chili powder and brown sugar.
- Scoop some of the mix into the egg wash and mix.
- Coat the onion in the powder mix, then coat it with the wet mix. Finish with a cover of the panko mix as desired.
- Make a foil sling with handles and place in your air fryer. Load the onion and cover the top with foil.
- Air fry at 370°F for 15 mins. Remove the cover and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes to crisp the onion.