The Chicago Hot Dog is a crunchy, juicy mouthful with yellow mustard, pickle relish, fresh tomatoes, onions, dill pickles, sport peppers and celery salt. You don’t have to make a trip to Chicago to enjoy this classic food. They cook up quickly and the prep work for the toppings is minimal. It’s always an interactive meal since everyone enjoys building their own hot dogs.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 8 mins
Total time: 18 mins
Servings: 4 servings
Yield: 8 hot dogs
- 8 all-beef natural casing hot dogs
- 8 poppy seed hot dog buns or potato buns
- Yellow mustard for topping
- Sweet pickle relish for topping
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 8 dill pickle spears
- 16 sport peppers or pepperoncini, whole or diced
- Celery salt for topping
- Prepare the grill: Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium heat, 350°F. You should be able to hold your hand over the grill for about 3 seconds before it’s too hot.
- Grill the hot dogs: Place the hot dogs on the grill. Turn them with tongs as they cook, about 8 minutes total. You want a good amount of color on them. Transfer to a platter.
- Build the Chicago dogs: Place a grilled hot dog in a bun. Top with yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, 2 tomato wedges, onions, 1 dill pickle spear, and 2 sport peppers.
The celery salt is strong, so you only need a light sprinkle over the dog to finish it up. Assemble the remaining hot dogs. Eat immediately!
Source: Simply Recipes