Bahrain’s cuisine is a reflection of the country’s rich cultural heritage and its vibrant spice trade history. Chicken Machboos is a traditional Bahraini dish that tantalizes the taste buds with its aromatic blend of spices and tender chicken. This fragrant one-pot wonder is a celebration of Arabian flavors, with each bite offering a harmonious combination of rice, chicken, and a medley of exotic spices. Immerse yourself in the enticing flavors of Bahrain with our delightful Chicken Machboos recipe, a true delight for food enthusiasts seeking an authentic Arabian culinary experience.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Baharat spice mix (a blend of ground spices including cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (optional, for heat)
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions to the pot and sauté until they turn golden brown and caramelized.
- Stir in the minced garlic and sauté for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pot and cook until they are lightly browned on all sides.
- Mix in the Baharat spice mix, turmeric powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, and red chili powder (if using). Stir well to coat the chicken with the aromatic spices.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pot and cook until they release their juices and start to soften.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot, stirring gently to combine with the chicken and spices.
- Pour in the chicken broth or water, ensuring that it covers the chicken and rice by about an inch.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.
- Remove the pot from heat and let it rest, covered, for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley, and serve the Chicken Machboos with lemon wedges on the side.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the dish before enjoying this delightful Bahraini creation.