Embark on a culinary voyage to Chile with this vibrant and zesty ceviche recipe. Ceviche is a popular dish along Chile’s extensive coastline, known for its refreshing flavors and delightful combination of fresh seafood and tangy citrus juices. This traditional Chilean ceviche showcases the natural flavors of fish or shrimp, marinated in a citrusy blend of lemon and lime juices, along with cilantro, onions, and a touch of spice. Prepare to tantalize your taste buds with this easy-to-make and utterly delicious Chilean delicacy.
- 1 pound fresh white fish fillets or shrimp, diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 lemons, juiced
- 3-4 limes, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the diced fish or shrimp, red onion, red and green bell peppers, jalapeño pepper, and cilantro.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemons and limes over the mixture, ensuring the seafood is fully covered in the citrus juices.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the seafood to “cook” in the citrus juices.
- Serve the Chilean ceviche chilled as an appetizer or light main dish. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.