Embark on a culinary journey to Guatemala with this traditional recipe for chiles rellenos. This beloved Guatemalan dish showcases the country’s vibrant flavors and culinary heritage. Chiles rellenos are stuffed peppers filled with a delectable mixture of minced meat, vegetables, and spices. Each bite offers a delightful combination of smoky, spicy, and savory flavors that will transport you to the heart of Guatemala. Get ready to savor the rich tastes of this iconic dish from Central America.
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup grated cheese (such as Monterey Jack or Cheddar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat the broiler in your oven. Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and broil them, turning occasionally, until the skins are blistered and charred. This will take about 10-12 minutes. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover them with a clean kitchen towel, and let them steam for 10 minutes. This will make it easier to remove the skins.
- Carefully peel the skins off the poblano peppers and make a small incision lengthwise on each pepper. Remove the seeds and membranes, taking care not to tear the peppers.
- In a skillet, heat some vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic, and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the ground meat to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon. Season with salt, pepper, and ground cumin.
- Stir in the cooked rice, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro. Cook for a few more minutes until the flavors are well combined. Remove from heat and let the filling cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Stuff each poblano pepper with the meat and rice filling, then top with grated cheese.
- Place the stuffed peppers in a baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the chiles rellenos hot as a main dish or with a side of rice and beans. Enjoy the authentic flavors of Guatemala!