Chinese cuisine is known for its bold and complex flavors, and one classic dish that showcases this is steamed fish. This dish is a favorite among Chinese families and is typically served during special occasions. The steaming process ensures that the fish is moist, tender, and infused with a rich combination of soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil. This recipe is simple to follow and is sure to impress your guests with its exquisite taste.
- 1 whole fresh sea bass or tilapia, cleaned and scaled
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and julienned
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp of light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp of sesame oil
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2-3 green onions, julienned
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Rinse the fish thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the fish on a heatproof dish or a steaming rack.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, sesame oil, and sugar. Pour the mixture over the fish, making sure to coat both sides evenly.
- Top the fish with the julienned green onions.
- Steam the fish for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of the fish, or until the flesh is opaque and cooked through.
- Carefully remove the dish from the steamer and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.