As we move through the month of December, we’re fast approaching the holiday season. Before you resort to baking the usual cookies or brownies, try out this festive popcorn recipe. Popcorn is among the healthiest snacks you can indulge in, so why not use them in a new dessert recipe for your family.
Yield: 8 balls (4 inches)
- 2 cups shredded or flaked sweetened coconut
nonstick cooking spray
- 3 quarts popped popcorn
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon coconut or vanilla extract
- 8 candy canes or candy cane sticks (about 3-4 inches)
- Place large sheet wax or parchment paper over work surface. Spread coconut on paper.
- Spray large mixing bowl lightly with nonstick cooking spray and place popcorn inside.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in marshmallows until melted and mixture is smooth. Pour over popcorn and mix well until coated.
- Spray hands with cooking spray and press mixture firmly to form into balls. Place balls on coconut; roll and press coconut to coat. While holding popcorn balls, gently press candy cane into each ball.
- Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap for storage.