Looking to finish off your pasta, pizza or salad? Add these garlicky marinated mushrooms! The natural umami flavor and herb marinade can be added to any recipe where you enjoy mushrooms.
Yield: Serves 2 to 4, makes about 3/12 cups
Prep time: 12 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes to 15 minutes
- 1 pound fresh cremini or button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium lemon
- Leave 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms whole if small, but halve or quarter if large. Peel and smash 3 garlic cloves. Peel and finely chop 1 small shallot until you have 2 tablespoons. Pick the leaves from 1 small bunch fresh parsley and coarsely chop until you have 2 tablespoons. Pick the leaves from 1 small bunch fresh thyme and coarsely chop until you have 1 teaspoon. Keep 4 of the remaining fresh thyme sprigs whole and reserve any remaining for another use.
- Place the garlic, thyme sprigs, 6 cups water, 1 dried bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the kosher salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and return to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally and adjusting heat if needed, until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and discard the thyme sprigs.
- Meanwhile, place 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved. While whisking, slowly add 1/4 cup extra-virgin oil and continue whisking until combined. Finely grate 1/2 teaspoon zest from 1/2 medium lemon. Add the zest, parsley, thyme, and shallots to the dressing and stir to combine.
- Add warm, drained mushrooms to dressing and toss to coat. Taste and season with more kosher salt and black pepper as needed. Eat immediately or let marinate in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 day for more flavor or up to 1 week.
Source: the Kitchn