On a cold winter day, there’s nothing better than a bowl of hearty beef stew. This recipe is perfect for those days when you want a warm and comforting meal that will stick to your bones. It’s packed with tender chunks of beef, potatoes, carrots, and celery, all simmered together in a flavorful broth. The best part? This recipe is incredibly simple to make, and it only requires a few basic ingredients. So grab your apron and let’s get started!
- 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of red wine
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the beef and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the beef from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pot and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth and red wine and stir well. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Return the beef to the pot and stir well. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours until the beef is tender and the vegetables are cooked through.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the stew into bowls and serve hot with crusty bread.