Greek cuisine is known for its fresh and flavorful ingredients, and one dish that perfectly captures this essence is Gemista. This traditional Greek recipe involves stuffing bell peppers with a mix of rice, herbs, and vegetables, resulting in a delicious and filling meal that is perfect for any occasion.
- 6 large bell peppers
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup of chopped dill
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the tops off of the bell peppers and remove the seeds and membranes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice, onion, tomatoes, zucchini, parsley, dill, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the mixture into the bell peppers, filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the peppers in a baking dish and add 1 cup of water to the dish.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until the peppers are tender and lightly browned.
- Serve hot and enjoy!