There’s nothing better than a classic, chewy oatmeal cookie. These include walnuts and raisins, but you can leave them out if you prefer. The cookies will keep for several days in an airtight container on the counter. They also freeze well.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 24 servings
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (we use Quaker Quick or Old Fashioned. Do NOT use instant.)
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (use 1/2 cup if using raisins)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Make the cookie dough: Beat together the shortening and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and beat well.
Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Add to sugar and egg mixture and mix well. Add a tablespoon of water. Add raisins (if using) and nuts. Add oats last.
- Bake: Spoon out by heaping tablespoonfuls on to greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350°F. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack.
- Cool completely: Cookies will keep for several days in an airtight container on the counter.
Are you looking to upgrade your kitchen? Cosmo appliances offers luxury range hoods, cooktops, ranges, refrigerators and more. Take a look at our complete product lines here.
Source: Simply Recipes