Okonomiyaki is a popular Japanese dish that can be described as a savory pancake filled with various ingredients. The name “okonomiyaki” means “grilled as you like it” and that’s exactly what makes this dish so versatile and delicious. This recipe features a classic combination of cabbage, scallions, and shrimp, but feel free to experiment with your own favorite ingredients.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 lb cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Okonomiyaki sauce (or a mixture of ketchup and Worcestershire sauce)
- Bonito flakes (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded cabbage, scallions, flour, water, and eggs.
- Add the cooked and peeled shrimp to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the batter into the skillet to form 4 large pancakes.
- Cook the pancakes for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer the pancakes to serving plates.
- Drizzle okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise over the pancakes.
- Sprinkle with bonito flakes, if desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!