Try this delicious new pizza recipe that can be prepared on a sheet pan. Combine cauliflower and other greens for a large and unique pizza everyone will love.
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 pieces
- ½ large head cauliflower
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 recipe (about 1 ½ pounds) dough
- 1 cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn into pieces
- 2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns in brine, or drained capers
- 3 handfuls baby greens such as arugula, kale or spinach
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 (13 x 18) rimmed baking sheets
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Place a rack in the lowest position.
- Prepare the cauliflower: Trim away the outer leaves and cut the cauliflower in half. Cut one half into slices about 1/4-inch thick, and reserve the other half for another use (or roast it all now and save half for another meal.) Some smaller florets will fall away; this is fine.
Spread the cauliflower slices and any florets that have fallen off on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Using your hands, rub the oil into the cauliflower, coating both sides. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Roast the cauliflower: Place the cauliflower on the lower rack of the oven. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender. Let the cauliflower cool slightly on the pan and break or cut it into smaller pieces.
At this point, the cauliflower can be kept refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- Stretch the dough onto the baking sheet: Wipe clean the baking sheet used to roast the cauliflower. Place the dough in the center of the baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil. Turn the dough to coat it well, spreading some of the oil over the baking sheet.
Gradually stretch the dough until it reaches the edges of the baking sheet. If it springs back or is difficult to stretch, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes before continuing.
- Turn the oven to 500ºF.
- Top the pizza: Brush the top of the dough with 1 tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan. Top with the mozzarella, followed by the cauliflower. Sprinkle the peppercorns (or capers) evenly over the dough.
- Bake the pizza: Set the pan on lowest shelf of the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the pizza is golden brown.
- Top with greens: In a bowl, toss the greens with the remaining tablespoon of the oil, the vinegar and salt and pepper. Top the cooked pizza with the greens; they will wilt slightly from the heat of the pizza. Cut into squares and serve hot.
Sources: Simply Recipes