There’s nothing else quite like homemade hummus. Try this easy recipe to enjoy all the flavor in about just five minutes!
- ½ cup of tahini (roasted, not raw)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more for garnishing)
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed and roughly chopped
- 2 15-oz cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Garnishes: A sprinkling of paprika, a swirl of olive oil, toasted pine nuts, and/or chopped parsley
- Process tahini and olive oil: In a food processor, combine the tahini and olive oil and pulse until smooth. Blend the oil and tahini first when making hummus. Blending the oil and tahini first helps it blend into the chickpeas better
- Add remaining ingredients, process until smooth: Then add the garlic, garbanzo beans, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Process until smooth. The longer you process in the food processor, the smoother the hummus will be. Add more salt or lemon juice to taste. Add the chickpeas to the blender Blend the chickpeas, tahini, and olive oil until the hummus is creamy
- Serve: Spoon into serving dish, swirl a little olive oil over the top and sprinkle with garnishes—a little paprika, toasted pine nuts, or chopped fresh parsley. Serve with crackers, raw dip vegetables such as carrots or celery, or with toasted pita bread. To toast pita bread, cut the pita bread into triangles, brush with olive oil and toast for 10 minutes in a 375°F oven, turning them over half-way through the cooking.
Source: Simply Recipes