Get ready to spice up your dinner routine with this classic Sichuan dish – Mapo Tofu! This flavorful and satisfying dish features a spicy sauce made with Sichuan peppercorns, fermented black beans, and chili paste, which is then combined with silky tofu and minced pork. It’s a perfect comfort food that will warm you up from the inside out.
- 1 block of firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed and minced
- 1 tbsp chili paste with garlic
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, toasted and ground
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Heat up the vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the ground pork and cook until it’s no longer pink, breaking up any large clumps with a spatula.
- Add the fermented black beans, chili paste, and Sichuan peppercorns. Stir-fry for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add the cubed tofu, chicken or vegetable broth, and soy sauce. Stir gently to combine and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the tofu is heated through.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt to taste.
- Garnish with sliced green onions and serve hot with steamed rice.