Ukrainian cuisine is known for its delicious comfort food, and these savory potato pancakes are no exception. Made with grated potatoes, onion, and garlic, these pancakes are a hearty and filling dish perfect for any meal of the day. The crispy exterior and soft interior make them irresistible, and they’re often served with sour cream and applesauce.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream and applesauce, for serving
- Grate the potatoes into a large bowl using a box grater. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated potatoes using a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, beaten eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the grated potatoes. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the skillet for each pancake, and flatten with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer the cooked pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil.
- Serve the potato pancakes hot with a dollop of sour cream and a side of applesauce.