Chinese cuisine is known for its diverse flavors and unique cooking techniques. One of the most beloved dishes in China is scallion pancakes, which are savory and flaky pancakes filled with scallions and sesame oil. This dish is a staple in Chinese breakfast and is enjoyed by many as a snack or side dish. Making scallion pancakes may seem intimidating, but with the right ingredients and a little bit of practice, anyone can make these delicious pancakes at home.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Slowly add in the boiling water, stirring with a fork until the mixture forms a shaggy dough.
- Add the cold water to the dough and knead for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll out each part into a thin circle.
- Brush each circle with vegetable oil and sprinkle with scallions.
- Roll up each circle tightly into a long cylinder and then twist the cylinder into a spiral.
- Flatten the spiral with a rolling pin into a pancake shape.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the sesame oil.
- Cook each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.