When the weather gets chilly, there’s nothing quite as comforting as a warm bowl of tomato soup. This deliciously simple creamy tomato soup recipe is perfect for those chilly days, and it’s super easy to make. It’s a great way to use up any leftover tomatoes you have, and it only requires a few basic ingredients. Let’s get started and make a delicious bowl of creamy tomato soup!
- 1 can of whole peeled tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they’re softened and lightly browned.
- Pour in the can of whole peeled tomatoes, including the juice. Break the tomatoes up with a wooden spoon and stir well.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes until the flavors have melded together.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until it’s smooth and creamy. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a blender and blend in batches.
- Return the soup to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Heat the soup over low heat until it’s warmed through.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Serve the creamy tomato soup hot and enjoy!