Persian cuisine is known for its rich and aromatic flavors, and one of the most beloved dishes is the Gheymeh Stew. This hearty stew is made with tender chunks of beef, yellow split peas, and a blend of aromatic spices, creating a savory and satisfying dish that’s perfect for any occasion. With its comforting flavors and textures, it’s no wonder why this dish has become a staple in Persian households.
- 1 lb beef stew meat, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup dried lime powder (limoo amani)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsp flour
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and sauté until they are golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the beef chunks and sauté until they are browned on all sides.
- Add the turmeric, cinnamon, and cumin and stir to coat the beef.
- Add the yellow split peas and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the stew simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add the tomato paste and dried lime powder to the pot and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour with 1/4 cup of water to make a slurry.
- Add the slurry to the pot and stir well.
- Simmer the stew for an additional 30 minutes, or until the beef and split peas are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.