This delightful treat, inspired by the state tree’s buckeye nuts, is a cherished symbol of Ohio’s rich culinary heritage. Featuring a creamy peanut butter filling coated in smooth chocolate, Ohio Buckeye Candy is a true confectionery delight that will satisfy your sweet tooth. Join us as we guide you through the steps to create this irresistible candy, allowing you to enjoy a taste of Ohio’s heartwarming flavors with each delectable bite.
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- In a mixing bowl, combine the creamy peanut butter and softened butter. Mix well until smooth and well blended.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar to the peanut butter mixture, mixing until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and salt, ensuring they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Shape the peanut butter mixture into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the semisweet chocolate chips and vegetable shortening. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Using a toothpick or fork, dip each peanut butter ball into the melted chocolate, ensuring it is fully coated. Allow any excess chocolate to drip off, and then place the coated ball back onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat the dipping process until all the peanut butter balls are coated in chocolate.
- Refrigerate the buckeye candies for about 1 hour, or until the chocolate is set and firm.
- Once the candies are fully set, transfer them to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Enjoy the decadent Ohio Buckeye Candy as a delightful sweet treat, capturing the essence of Ohio’s culinary charm.