If you’re a fan of sweet and savory flavors, you’ll love this Hong Kong-style pineapple bun recipe. Known locally as “bor lor bao”, these buns are a popular breakfast and snack food in Hong Kong. The unique combination of a sweet pineapple topping and a soft, savory bun makes for a delicious and satisfying treat.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, mix the warm milk, melted butter, and egg.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into 10 pieces and form them into balls.
- Flatten the balls and add a spoonful of chopped pineapple on top of each one.
- Wrap the dough around the pineapple and place them on a baking sheet.
- Cover and let the buns rise for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the buns for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.