If you’re looking for a unique and delicious Japanese dish to try at home, look no further than chawanmushi. This savory egg custard is a popular Japanese appetizer that’s surprisingly easy to make. It’s a perfect option for anyone looking to add some Japanese flavor to their home cooking.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups dashi stock (or chicken or vegetable broth)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup cooked shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the dashi stock, soy sauce, mirin, and salt to the bowl and whisk everything together.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a measuring cup.
- Divide the mushrooms, shrimp, and green onions among four small heatproof cups.
- Pour the egg mixture over the ingredients in the cups.
- Cover each cup tightly with aluminum foil.
- Add water to a large pot or steamer and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cups to the pot or steamer.
- Steam the cups for 15-20 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Drizzle sesame oil over the custard before serving.