Transport yourself to the vibrant streets of Mexico with these delicious and spicy chicken enchiladas. Wrapped in soft tortillas and smothered in a zesty tomato sauce, this dish is sure to satisfy your cravings for bold flavors and hearty comfort food. While the recipe may seem a bit daunting, it’s actually quite simple to make and is perfect for impressing your friends and family at your next gathering.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream and chopped cilantro, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Spread a small amount of the sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Warm the tortillas in the microwave or in a dry skillet until they are pliable. Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of the shredded chicken and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place it seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake the enchiladas for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve the enchiladas hot with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.