If you’re a fan of Japanese cuisine, you’ll love this Tokyo-inspired teriyaki chicken bowl recipe. Teriyaki sauce is a staple in Japanese cooking, and it’s used in a variety of dishes, from grilled meats to stir-fries. This recipe features juicy chicken thighs coated in a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce, served over a bed of fluffy rice and topped with sautéed vegetables. It’s a delicious and satisfying meal that’s easy to make at home.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup sake
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green onions, for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, grated ginger, and grated garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides, and then add them to the skillet. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce over the chicken thighs, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is fully coated.
- In another skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and bell peppers, and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the cooked rice between four bowls. Top each bowl with a chicken thigh and spoon some of the teriyaki sauce over the top. Add the sautéed vegetables, and garnish with green onions.