Warm up with a hearty bowl of Ukrainian Borscht, a delicious and comforting soup that’s perfect for chilly days. This traditional dish features beets, potatoes, cabbage, and other vegetables, slow-cooked in a rich and flavorful broth.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 beets, peeled and shredded
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream and chopped fresh dill for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and potatoes and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the shredded beets, beef broth, diced tomatoes, dill, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh dill.