Ukrainian cuisine is rich in hearty and satisfying dishes, and cabbage rolls are no exception. This classic dish consists of ground meat, rice, and seasonings, all wrapped up in tender cabbage leaves and baked until golden brown. It’s a dish that’s perfect for cozy winter nights or as a hearty main dish for a special occasion.
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the whole head of cabbage and boil for 5-7 minutes, or until the leaves are softened and pliable.
- Remove the cabbage from the pot and let cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, carefully remove the leaves, making sure to keep them intact.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, uncooked rice, chopped onion, minced garlic, diced tomatoes (with juice), paprika, dried dill, salt, and pepper.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture onto the center of each cabbage leaf. Roll up the leaf, tucking in the sides as you go.
- Place the cabbage rolls seam-side down into a large baking dish. Pour the beef broth over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the cabbage rolls are golden brown and the beef is fully cooked.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh dill or parsley, if desired.