Your Air Fryer is the key to hands-off grilled cheese. You can set the timer, walk away and come back to perfectly crispy bread and melted cheese. The best combination for flavorful cheese is a combination of sharp cheddar and a nice melting cheese like Monterey Jack. You’ll prepare these in the usual way you do your ordinary melted cheese. Read how below.
Yield: Serves 2
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack, Gruyère, or low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices rustic bread, or white or whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Let 2 tablespoons unsalted butter sit at room temperature until softened. Heat an air fryer to 375ºF.
- Grate 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese and 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese on the large holes of a box grater (about 1 cup each). Toss together in a medium bowl.
- Spread the butter onto one side of each of 4 slices sandwich or rustic bread. Flip 2 of the slices over and divide the cheese evenly over these slices. Close the sandwiches with the remaining 2 bread slices butter-side up. Press the sandwiches slightly to close.
- Air fry the grilled cheeses: place in the basket (do one at a time if they will not fit in a single layer with some space around them) and air fry for 3 minutes. Flip the sandwich and air fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes more.
Source: the Kitchn