Arepas are a staple in Venezuelan cuisine and for good reason – they’re delicious! These golden corn cakes are stuffed with tender and flavorful shredded chicken, ripe avocado, and a variety of seasonings and spices. While they may seem intimidating at first, they’re actually quite simple to make and will impress anyone lucky enough to try them.
- 2 cups pre-cooked yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, warm water, and salt until a smooth dough forms. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions and shape into flat disks about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and cook the arepas for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- In a separate pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Add the shredded chicken, diced tomato, salt, and pepper and cook until heated through.
- Slice the arepas in half and stuff with the chicken mixture and avocado slices. Serve hot and enjoy!